Ukraine has rejected a demand from Russian authorities to surrender in Mariupol. Russian authorities said it would open humanitarian corridors if Ukraine complied.
Director of the Russian National Defence Management Centre, Colonel-General Mikhail Mizintsev, announced Ukraine had until 5 am Moscow time on Monday (12 pm AEST) to “lay down [their] arms” and respond to the offer.
However, Ukraine’s Deputy Prime Minister Iryna Vereshchuk said: “There can be no talk of any surrenders [or] laying down of arms.”
Mizintsev initially warned that if the terms were not agreed on, local Ukrainian officials would face a “military tribunal”.
An estimated 300,000 people are believed to be trapped in Mariupol with minimal electricity, food, and water.
ART SCHOOL BOMBING
The demand comes after Ukrainian officials said on Sunday that Russian forces had bombed an art school that was being used as a shelter for an estimated 400 Ukrainians. The number of survivors from the bombing is unclear.
Last week, Russian forces also attacked the Mariupol Drama Theatre, which was being used as a shelter by Ukrainians. Russia denied this.
The latest updates comes after Russian forces pushed further into the city over the weekend.
It has been estimated that 80% of Mariupol’s residential buildings have been damaged as a result of attacks by Russian forces.